How to categorize Big Data Companies? These companies are a mix of startups and existing companies. One way to think of them is as follows:
- Data: Companies creating data, segmentation, content, data overlays and repackaging of existing data. (eg Rapleaf, Dow Jones, National Weather Service)
- Infrastructure: Companies creating tools to manage, store, deliver, optimize, monitor, or combine data. (most database providers, hardware companies, storage management, cloud providers)
- Applications: Software applications to analyze, visualize, predict, or utilize big data (analytics and BI software, line of business applications)
- Consulting and Strategy: Companies that provide consulting services on data, infrastructure, or applications, data governance, analysis of data.
- Services: Companies that use big data (all of the previous) to provide a service to consumers and businesses.
Visit my Pinterest board for clippings of Big Data Startups